A couple of nights ago I tried to find M1 but failed and, as it was very cold and had moved from one side of the meridian to the other, this had rather scuppered my attempts at finding a suitable star to sync on.
But last night I waited until both Aldebaran, El Nath and M1 were on the same side of the meridian. I had also taken the precaution of keeping the light attachment to the finderscope indoors until I was ready to use it - the battery doesn't like the cold. And, as I discovered, neither does my computer battery!
So I first tried to find Aldebaran as it is a nice bright, reddish star. Got it aligned in the finderscope and seemed to be central in the 32mm and synced on it. I should really then have used the 12.5mm. Instead I connected up the G3 camera and couldn't see it. However, at the side I could see what a hint of extra brightness and this was Aldebaran. So synced on that and then went to El Nath, synced on that then went to Precise GOTO and found M1 from that.
It was then a question of connecting up the cooler and getting PHD working, which it did brilliantly first time - after I remembered to connect the cable to the computer. Didn't do any adjustments to the focus of either the G3 or the ZWO guide camera.
Set it up to do 20 180sec exposures and left it to watch the recording of Grantchester. Came back to discover that the computer had given up on the 12th exposure.
Processed the results in Orion Camera Studio and Adobe Elements 11 as usual. Need to rig up the extension cable for the computer in future.